In an attempt to rekindle my blog spark, I want to reintroduce my weekly Friday Fixation posts. My last Friday Fixation post was for my absolutely favorite, post workout drink Cheribundi. Today, it’s my low cost alternative to raw energy bars.
When I started incorporating raw foods in my diet I spent crap loads of money trying different packaged raw bars. Most were hard nutty bars that I’m pretty sure were slowly cracking my teeth. Until one day I found the most delish brownie raw bar..not joke, it was amazing. One huge problem with them though, they cost $1.99 a pop!! With my 5+ bar a week ways, my waistline loved them, but my pocket book was dying a slow death.
So, to please my taste buds and my credit union, I tried to make my own. After some seriously disastrous attempts, I came up with the most delish chocolaty treats. They aren’t the most physically appealing items, but no joke they fit the bill when you need something quick to eat or a “sugar” fix. I’m so addicted to these things, I’m like little Honey Bo-Bo when cake is around
I even got the Mister into craving them. After an hour of reassuring him that he can’t physically die from trying just one bite, he bit into the chocolaty goodness and claimed, “Ugh, that’s aren’t bad at all..actually pretty good.” We are both so obsessed with these that we both like wake up mid-night to snack on a couple balls <Inset sexual innuendo here>.
Chocolate Raw Bar Recipe:
- 2 cups raw dates
- 2 tablespoons of raw cocoa powder (or you can just get unsweetened Hershey cocoa powder)
- 1 cup chopped raw walnuts
- 1/4 to 1/2 raw shredded coconut
- Dash of raw agave nectar (if you want it a little sweeter)
Place dates in food processor and blend until it makes a fairly thick paste.
Add cocoa powder, walnuts, and shredded coconut and blend. You can also mix by hand if it floats your boat.
TASTE! If you want it a little sweeter or if the mixture is a little loose add some raw agave nectar.
Roll into balls and refrigerate.
I would like to present my new weekly update of things I’m obsessed with….I’m obsessed with a lot of stuff, so this might turn into a three-part weekly series.
This week- Cheribundi
The beginning of the obsession: Amidst the chaos of the Rock N’ Roll Las Vegas Marathon Expo, there was one place of refuge…the Cheribundi booth. I typically don’t try drinks out expos, something about germs and too many people grabbing at the tiny cups, but when I saw this fresh cherry drink I had to stop. Thank God I did, because even as I was clubbing it up at the Wynn the next night, I caught myself dreaming about the cherry goodness of the Cheribundi drink.
Cheribundi tastes like a bundle of cherries (hence the name) freshly squeezed in your mouth. It’s tart, yet sweet, and satisfies any sugar cravings you are having. As soon as I got back to the Valley of the Sun, I scoured the valley searching for the drink with no success. I finally broke down and ordered a case off the Cheribundi website to satisfy my cravings.
The obsession still continues to this day. I buy these on a regular basis, have sent cases to friends, and wake up in the middle of the night for a quick chug of cherry goodness. I even made martinis with Cheribundi during Christmas time!
- Five different flavors (Regular, Skinny Version, Ginger, Chocolate, and Protein spiked)
- The regular Cheribundi is a mixture of pressed cherries and apple juice (not from concentrate). So it’s 100% juice!
- The skinny version is 65% juice with water and stevia included.
- There are approximately 50 cherries per 8 fluid ounces in the regular Cheribundi.
- Move over pomegranate, Cherry is the next super fruit. Research shows that cherries can help you recover from exercise faster, sleep better, have anti-inflammatory benefits, can reduce pain from arthritis, and are heart health. Don’t believe me? Click here to read more about cherries.
- Are available at Sprouts, Safeway, Whole Foods, and other local vendors. I finally have found this ruby gems at my local Safeway for $2.50 a bottle (occasionally on sale for $1).
Question – What are you obsessed with right now?